Startup Weekend Mackay – October 23-25, 2015 (CQU Mackay Campus, Ooralea)
What is a Startup Weekend?
Startup Weekends are…
Startup Weekends are 54-hour events designed to provide superior experiential education for technical and non-technical entrepreneurs. The weekend events are centered on action, innovation, and education. Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through testing, business model development, and basic prototype creation, Startup Weekends culminate in Sunday night demos to a panel of potential investors and local entrepreneurs. Participants are challenged with building functional startups during the event and are able to collaborate with like-minded individuals outside of their daily networks.
Why people come to Startup Weekend:
- To network.
- To develop/build a product.
- To learn how to create a new venture.
After the conference is over, roughly 80% of attendees plan on continuing to work on their startup after the weekend.
What you’ll get out of the event
- Education: Startup Weekends are all about learning by doing, whether you’re learning a new skill or a new way of thinking. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
- Co-Founder Dating: The people who come to Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. Create relationships that last long past the weekend.
- Have fun: During the weekend working alongside awesome people who share your ideas. Startup Weekend is meant to be fun and entertaining so enjoy it.
- Solve local problems with your ideas. Do you think that one of your idea can change your town or have a positive impact in your group of people? Bring your idea notebook with you and start making a positive change in your local community.
- Build Your Network: Startup Weekend works hard to recruit high quality, driven entrepreneurs- like you!
- Learn New Skills: With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or give marketing a try. With nothing to lose there’s no reason not to step outside your comfort zone.
- Learn How to Launch a Business (and Actually Do It!): Startup Weekend is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology.
- Mentorship: Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends and give feedback to participants. Interact with the movers and shakers in your community.
- Get Access to Valuable Startup Resources: By participating in Startup Weekend you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves Startup Weekend empty handed! Click here to learn more about some of the offers our Global Sponsors provide during the event.
- Save Money: Startup Weekends are affordable (typically $99, only $50 for students). Your ticket includes seven meals, snacks, and all the coffee you can drink.
Meet our Special Guests
Winning Team Prize
The Winning Team of Startup Weekend Mackay will gain Entry into ilab’s Germinate accelerator tech-startup bootcamp Fri 20 Nov to 22 Nov. in Brisbane – Expenses paid. (up to $1800)!!
ilab’s Germinate Bootcamp is three full days of seminars, mentoring, business building and pitching. It forms part of the selection process for ilab’s Germinate accelerator where founders are vying places in ilab’s Germinate accelerator program. All participants learn enormous amounts about their ideas, themselves and how to grow a great business.
“For someone without startup or business experience, ilab bootcamp is like an information sledgehammer. Moving between moments of terror and elation, the experience certainly changes one, and improves one’s business thinking in a very rapid way.”
Caleb Hattingh, Founder of CodoMojoBootcamp
Prize includes accommodation and airfares up to $1800. Participants need to participate for three full days Fri, Sat and Sunday.
Startup Weekend - First Timers Introduction
Friday October 23rd
6:00 PM Registration: Arrive at the venue and get checked in. Get pumped for innovation!
6:15 PM Dinner & Networking: Eat food, share ideas, practice pitches, get to know fellow participants.
7:00 PM Welcome & Speakers: Review agenda for the weekend and introduce speakers, coaches, and community leaders
7:30 PM Pitches Start: optionally line up to give your pitch
9:00 PM Voting: Attendees vote for the top pitches
9:15 PM Form Teams: Teams start forming and discussing ideas
12:00 PM Venue Closes: Head home and get some rest!
Saturday October 24th
9:00 AM Breakfast: Arrive, simple breakfast & coffee
9:30 AM Begin Work: Teams formed and setting up workspace for the weekend
12:00 PM Lunch
1:00 PM Check-In: After-lunch check-in, status reports, call for help
2:00 PM Coach Meetings: Coaches help teams one-on-one. They are here to help!
6:30 PM Dinner
7:30 PM Check-In: After-dinner check-in, status reports, call for help
11:55 PM Wrap-Up: Finished for the day. Venue Closes.
Sunday October 25th
9:00 AM Breakfast: Arrive, simple breakfast & coffee
10:00 AM Check-In: Coaches arrive. Final opportunity to ask questions
12:00 PM Lunch
12:30 PM Coach Meetings: Coaches arrive… ASK QUESTIONS
3:00 PM Presentation Prep & Tech Check: Final hours of worktime should be focused on perfecting your presentation, tech-check for final presentations also takes place
4:00 PM Dinner
5:00 PM Final Presentations
7:30 PM Judging & Awards
8:30 PM Wrap-Up
9:00 PM Go Home!
Why Attend a Startup Weekend?
Call us biased, but we think that there are dozens of reasons why you should come to a Startup Weekend! Since we know your time is valuable, we’ll only list the top eight:
Startup Weekends are all about learning through the act of creating. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
Build your network:
This isn’t just a happy-hour. Startup Weekend attracts your community’s best makers and do-ers. By spending a weekend working to build scalable companies that solve real-world problems, you will build long-lasting relationships and possibly walk away with a job or even an investor.
We all know it’s not just about the idea – it’s about the team. Startup Weekend is hands down the best way to find someone you can actually launch a startup with.
Learn a new skill:
Step outside of your comfort zone. With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or just try something different.
Actually launch a business:
Over 36% of Startup Weekend startups are still going strong after 3 months. Roughly 80% of participants plan on continuing working with their team or startup after the weekend.
Get face time with thought leaders:
Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends as coaches and judges. Get some one-on-one time with the movers and shakers in your community.
Save money & get stuff:
Startup Weekends typically cost between $75 and $100 (less for students). Your ticket covers seven meals, snack, access to exclusive resources from our sponsors, and of course, all the coffee you can drink.
Join a global community:
Join over 100,000 Startup Weekend alumni, all on a mission to change the world.